What is a lifeku?

A lifeku is a haiku about daily life. For those who are unfamiliar with haiku, it is a form of Japanese poetry usually about nature, "profound," and formatted in 3 lines of 5 syllables, 7 syllables, and 5 syllables. Feel free to check out some famous haikus if you still don't get it.

Comment. It'll make the popular kids like you.

Tuesday, January 20

Reactions: 
This one summer there were these homeless guys (they were actually more like squatters) who had started hanging around my neighborhood. I saw them with their dogs frequently and paid little attention since I live in an urban environment and am thus completely numb to homelessness... but one day... I came out of my building, it was a Saturday in June so the streets were packed like Times Square, and started walking towards the bakery. When I had gotten to the church (half way to the bakery), I was suddenly startled by a plastic cup flinging around in my face. Upon further inspection, I realized that the plastic cup had a dollar sign on it (why it wasn't Euros I'll never know) which was attached to a fishing pole, which was being held by the squatters who were standing on the church steps. As in they were fishing for handouts. Panhandle fishing. Or something. I thought it was so funny that I decided to give them a Euro. A for effort, I always say.

I sometimes give cash
To homeless people with real
Creativity

1 Comments:

meemo said...

This is definitely one of my favorites. And it's true, I do the same thing. Especially since you have a lot of dancing and singing homeless in DC. I definitely give them more money than others. Or anyone with a copy of Street Sense.